You can take a horse to.....

water but you can't make it drink you can't make it eat either. My 31 yr old little darling ( I am saying that through gritted teeth) has lost a great deal of weight lately. He has curshings disease and the vet came to check his teeth,he had 2 loose which were removed and some sharp bits filed off the others,well those he has left. We have to assume he is no longer able to eat hay,he tries chewing it for ages and not being able to get it to a pulp he is able to get down so he drops it out of his mouth. I have to feed him a soft diet which is the fibre he needs in a mash form plus as much cooking oil I can add that he will still eat it. He can't have nice things like treacle to make it tasty and we have to keep his diet low sugar low carbohydrate. He is fed 3 times a day which take me a hour each time some days he eats better than others, some I have to hand feed him,others he refuses to try ( he does graze but the spring grass is yet to grow.) Tonight I have just battled against 40-50 mile an hour winds horizontal rain and fed him, his reaction was to ignore his own food and steal Morris' instead, I am afraid I just left them to it I was too tired,wet and still had to struggle home and couldn't really see much with the rain.

我只是在下次访问兽医时,如果桑迪还没有开始重新承担一些体重,我们可能不得不说再见,这可能需要4到6周才能开始发生。星期一是4周,所以我希望很快能开始看到一些改进,这不会出于尝试的意愿。

评论

• Lilymary
    Lilymary MemberPosts:1,522

Looking after elderly animals is so hard, but he still sounds a character. You’re giving him his best chance, and I hope the vet visit is positive. Xx

• 感谢liymary,他是我自1999年以来拥有他的巨大角色,他一直因我的伤病和亚瑟(Arthur)而与我在一起,所以我欠他很大。我可能一直无法骑车,但是照顾他让我保持理智。

• Jewels
    Jewels MemberPosts:174

希望他很快就开始感觉好些

• stellabean
    stellabean MemberPosts:307

Well yesterday was the day we took a close look at Sandy and compared him with the photo from 4 weeks ago, there is a very small improvement his condition means he has problems with maintaining muscle,we have to see what the vet says in a couple of weeks hope it is enough.

• Jewels

Fingers crossed hun x

• stellabean
    stellabean MemberPosts:307

Thanks. It has been so stressful he looks so skeletal and it is not as if he isn't fed or has ever been neglected. He has regular vet checks blood tests and has been on a very expensive drug for his cushings disease that costs £2.60 a day ( double that if I bought from the vets). But at least all the effort to get to him and try to encourage him to eat is beginning to pay off and even if he doesn't always appreciate the extra feeds his field mate Morris does!!.

• Jewels

噢,我真的什么都不了解马,但他听起来像一名战士,只要他没有痛苦,我知道你不会让他随身携带

• 6周后兽医了again today and he is pleased with the weight gain Sandy has put on we just need some rain for the spring grass to start growing and I can drop him back to 2 feeds a day. I am waiting for the blood results and hope his levels are okay or if his meds need increasing.

• Jewels

Aww that's great news Stellabean

• 谢谢,我不能告诉你我对他有多担心,但我们的兽医说我做得很好,他开玩笑说要给我更多的老人马来照顾,但我和两个男孩在一起。莫里斯(Morris)对腿上的肿瘤进行了更多治疗,有些人周围放有乐队以使其掉落,而另一些则用砷粉(YEP砷)治疗,以试图杀死癌细胞。他今晚为自己感到有些遗憾,但他将在一天左右的时间内接任。莫里斯(Morris)属于我的年长朋友,她11年前只8岁,再也无法骑行,我和桑迪(Sandy)照顾了他,他们像一对已婚夫妇一样照顾他。

• Lilymary

That sounds really positive@stellabean,希望他继续在你的温柔护理下集会x

• Sandy's bloods are okay we don't need to increase his meds. I have tried to increase his feeds but he just walks away when he has had enough his weight gain is now obvious to other people so I don't have to keep explaining about his medical condition every time someone says did I know my horse was thin.

• Jewels

That's good to hear hun I bet your relieved a bit now

• Lilymary

这是个好消息,他们很担心。希望他继续集会。有照片的机会吗?

• P4260029.JPG

Hers is Sandy eating his breakfast this morning but we had to tie him up

P4260030.JPG

Morris and Sandy finishing his meal some days it is like organizing toddlers they swop bowls tip them over and Morris likes to get his food all over his nose and wipe it on your clothes and hair. The legs belong to my husband who has been sorting out the much heap, he makes some good stuff for the garden and it is in high demand for the allotment sites too. There is one thing for sure there is always a supply from the boys!

• Lilymary

what handsome boys! ❤️❤️❤️

• Lilymary

Including your husband’s legs of course!

• Jewels

They're beautiful@stellabean

Who's Online

3Guests
Baidu