Updates to the Online Community
We are updating the Online Community on Tuesday 24th May. This is changing the look of the forums to a "list view" to make finding where to post an easier task.

脚踝融合体验

Christal
Christal MemberPosts:6
edited 2. Nov 2021, 10:25 inLiving with arthritis

I would like to speak to people who’ve undergone ankle fusion and/or ankle replacement.

Tagged:

注释

• Ellen
    Ellen ModeratorPosts:952

Hi@ChristalA warm welcome to the Versus Arthritis Online Community from me.

I do not have any personal experience of ankle fusion surgery myself but here is every similar recent post:

Hi, I'm new on here 😁<\/span><\/p>

I have OA in my ankle which is post traumatic after I was hit by a vehicle 6 years ago, and now my ortho consultant has advised ankle fusion. It seems like a big decision to decide how to go ahead and I'm not eligible to have an ankle replacement because of my age....I'm just a bit torn with what to do at the minute, on one hand anything to get me out of this pain would be more than welcome!! But also I worry how much it will affect my day to day life and also I love to walk up mountains whenever possible so I don't know how a fused ankle would cope with any incline? Though at the moment any walks are a struggle so it may be the lesser of two evils to just jump in to the surgery...? And I have a lot of achillies tendon pain so will the surgery affect this much or not at all? I'm a bit all over the shop about what to do in all honesty! If it wasnt easy to tell by this post 😂<\/span><\/p>

I had a steriod injection earlier this year but about 3\/4 weeks later it wore off and its no different than it was before now. If anyone out there has had an ankle fusion or any other joint fusion really and has any advice at all I'd really appreciate anyone reaching out 😊<\/span> I've chatted with my consultant several times but I'm always met with fairly brief answers. No disrespect at all to my consultant as they're all incredible people who do a whole lot of healing! But I feel like nothing could give me a better idea of how life goes on after this surgery than someone who is living it now and experienced it first hand. <\/p>

If anyone has any advice at all or just fancies a chat about living with OA pain I'm all ears 😊<\/span><\/p>","bodyRaw":"[{\"insert\":\"Hi, I'm new on here \"},{\"insert\":{\"emoji\":{\"emojiChar\":\"😁\"}}},{\"insert\":\"\\nI have OA in my ankle which is post traumatic after I was hit by a vehicle 6 years ago, and now my ortho consultant has advised ankle fusion. It seems like a big decision to decide how to go ahead and I'm not eligible to have an ankle replacement because of my age....I'm just a bit torn with what to do at the minute, on one hand anything to get me out of this pain would be more than welcome!! But also I worry how much it will affect my day to day life and also I love to walk up mountains whenever possible so I don't know how a fused ankle would cope with any incline? Though at the moment any walks are a struggle so it may be the lesser of two evils to just jump in to the surgery...? And I have a lot of achillies tendon pain so will the surgery affect this much or not at all? I'm a bit all over the shop about what to do in all honesty! If it wasnt easy to tell by this post \"},{\"insert\":{\"emoji\":{\"emojiChar\":\"😂\"}}},{\"insert\":\"\\nI had a steriod injection earlier this year but about 3\\\/4 weeks later it wore off and its no different than it was before now. If anyone out there has had an ankle fusion or any other joint fusion really and has any advice at all I'd really appreciate anyone reaching out \"},{\"insert\":{\"emoji\":{\"emojiChar\":\"😊\"}}},{\"insert\":\" I've chatted with my consultant several times but I'm always met with fairly brief answers. No disrespect at all to my consultant as they're all incredible people who do a whole lot of healing! But I feel like nothing could give me a better idea of how life goes on after this surgery than someone who is living it now and experienced it first hand. \\nIf anyone has any advice at all or just fancies a chat about living with OA pain I'm all ears \"},{\"insert\":{\"emoji\":{\"emojiChar\":\"😊\"}}},{\"insert\":\"\\n\"}]","format":"rich","dateInserted":"2021-10-19T07:52:40+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":118978,"name":"Rosie2021","url":"https:\/\/community.versusarthritis.org\/profile\/Rosie2021","photoUrl":"https:\/\/w3.vanillicon.com\/v2\/377795b976f7361fee2ef395a9339054.svg","dateLastActive":"2021-10-24T12:47:26+00:00","banned":0,"punished":0,"private":false},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":true,"showPostLink":true,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/community.versusarthritis.org\/discussion\/55324\/oa-in-ankle-should-i-go-ahead-with-ankle-fusion","embedType":"quote","name":"OA in ankle, should I go ahead with ankle fusion?"}"> https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/55324/oa-in-ankle-should-i-go-ahead-with-ankle-fusion

This is an old thread but well worth a read:

\nMy question is,
    \nfor those that have had an ankle fusion, how bad was your ankle before having it done? to what degree was it altering your life ?

\nCazz.","bodyRaw":"Hiya, I am not sure if this is the right forum to post on, new here and still finding my way about.\n\nMy question is,\nfor those that have had an ankle fusion, how bad was your ankle before having it done? to what degree was it altering your life ?\n\n\nCazz.","format":"bbcode","dateInserted":"2011-07-02T03:08:55+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":25193,"name":"Cazz","url":"https:\/\/community.versusarthritis.org\/profile\/Cazz","photoUrl":"https:\/\/wf.vanillicon.com\/v2\/f8f8f7869b6121efbc797b8abb8c80d6.svg","dateLastActive":"2011-08-22T07:01:00+00:00","banned":0,"punished":0,"private":false},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":true,"showPostLink":true,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/community.versusarthritis.org\/discussion\/25167\/ankle-fusion","embedType":"quote","name":"Ankle Fusion."}"> https://community.versusurthritis.org/discussion/25167/ankle-fusion

If you have time and wanted to please do let s know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• MrDJ
    MrDJ MemberPosts:230

what would you like to know Christel.

back in the late 90's there was talk about a ankle replacement for me but 3 months later they said my ankle was too far gone so done a triple fusion arthrodesis instead which is 3 pins in my ankle fusing it totally. my other ankle has self fused in the wrong position but once again was told its too risky to try anything on that one.

was a very long 6 months recovery and non wheight bearing which seemed to never end but still holding strong after almost 25 years.

• Thank you Cazz and MrDJ - that was interesting to read.

i am nearly 72. And my ‘good’ ankle hurts as well as the right one which is severely arthritic. And, that ‘good’ foot also has capsulitis in metatarsals. I also feel arthritic pain in collar bones which is worse if I use Nordic poles. Right knee, left hip, and lower back are protesting, but that could be because of the way I’m walking (with tension).

I do manage around 6000 steps per day, and push for that to take care of osteoporosis.

So I’m wondering if I should just increase painkillers and live with it, rather that put myself under a surgeon’s knife. I can’t take NSAId, so I just use paracetamol, and only at night. Opioids constipate and tend to make my head go fuzzy. So should I just increase the paracetamol and make it perhaps twice a day, I wonder.

Fusing my right ankle would still leave me with the other joint pains......

Any suggestions, or even better, experience will be most welcome!

Christal

• MrDJ
    MrDJ MemberPosts:230

its catch 22 really. paracetamol do nothing for me except for teeth issues like absess or root pain.

除此之外,我同意在服用DF118脱氢可爱素时被阻止,因此必须定期服用像纤维凝胶这样的粉末以简化便秘。在此之前,我正在服用Co Proxamol,这很棒,但后来停止了。

have you ever seen a rhumatologist. if not your gp can refer you if they think its worth while.

I wish this treatment was available back in 1985 when i was diagnosed but sadly the damage is done now and still in pain but soooo much less than before i started it.

the treatment which really changed my life was Anti TNF infusion Infliximab and now cheaper bio similar Remsima. after my first infusion i literally walked into the infusion centre on crutches and walked out unaided and hardly used them since. that was in 2001. catch 22 though is this drug kills our immuney system so our bodies have no protection from bugs or viruses. also have to take 20mg methotrexate a week and 1gram sulphasalazine a day.

with covid now it would be a difficult decission if i was just about to start this treatment as even though ive had all 3 covid jabs after 3 weeks the protection is washed out of my system so im still in lockdown and my work wont let me back as i work in a hospital where covid is rife again.

the decission is should you put up with pain and hope things dont get worse or try to see if you would be elegible for this treatment but then have to be so carefull with bugs around you. hope this helps a bit.

吉姆

• 嗨,吉姆。我看过一位风湿病学家的骨质疏松症,尽管由于副作用,我不得不停止服用规定的药物。我打算去看一位骨质疗法外科医生,他的脚踝X射线看到了。从X射线检查中,他建议脚踝融合,尽管他实际上还没有像我在另一个国家一样看到我。我希望在步行和休息之间找到更好的平衡。永远不要站着不动(那很糟糕)。每天几次将双腿放在沙发上,高于心脏水平……而且,我希望找到更好的止痛药。我会尽量不要对扑热息痛如此保留。

Any other suggestions always welcome!

Christal

• Hi There

我的丈夫underwent this operation in December as he was riddled in arthritis. He only recently had his cast off and says he is so glad he has the operation. He doesn’t have any arthritic pain at all.

is there anything specific you would like me to ask him on your behalf? If it could help in any way

xxxx

Who's Online

helpline_team
helpline_team
jamieA
jamieA
Janeandrews_60
Janeandrews_60
Perky
Perky
toady
toady