The bath is too hard and my arms and legs hurt

What a baffling disease. Whatever the exercise was, the one that kept my arms and legs strong enough for using the bath, it has gone. Whats gone is strange because its not like I don't move around either, because I do, except it's mostly around the house these days. I climb the exercise steps, 12 minutes until out of puff, no problem. I lift the kettle to brew up regular, multiple times a day, a bit of a struggle, but I'm a man, I can do it. But step into an empty bathtub, and I can't get in. It might as well be crawling with tomb raiding spiders, or carved from carbon dioxide ice. Can anybody cure thisAblutophobia.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket 成员Posts:26,975

I can't cure your arthritis, Baloo, but your bath problem could be solved by a bath lift. I used one for years until I got my walk-in shower. Have a look here though lots of other disability shops are available.https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/bathroom-aids/bath-lifts/electric-bath-lifts

• Baloo
    Baloo 成员Posts:107

是的,粘性智能。试图决定像椅子这样的合适的修改会让我感到紧张。我想的想法是,每天都会访问浴场以进行适当的动作可能会解决它。

• stickywicket

Why not enlist the help of an occupational therapist? You can self-refer by looking up your local council's Adult Social Care Dept.

• Baloo

Escalating to an occupational therapist is an interesting idea@stickywicket。Gaining strength for anything special in between relapses is a bit of a challenge. It's such a short time to get fit, something like 10 days.

• Baloo

Still working on how to get in and out the bath@stickywicket。我不太可能有资格参加社会护理职业治疗师,因为它需要两件事,但我还是会问他们说什么。同时,我发现了一些手臂和腿下蹲练习,可以毫无困难地进行。到目前为止,真正吸引我的是太僵硬了,无法坐在浴缸中的膝盖上,甚至在地板上上下下来。如果我不断尝试一下,也许我可以恢复灵活性。它不再是地板不再存在了,最肯定的是。

• stickywicket

尝试谷歌搜索“洗澡艾滋病”,看看是否有任何帮助。

• Yes, my OT said to self refer to social services and ask for a home assessment. They may be able to advise and help with small adaptations.

I have a shower over my bath and bought a bath board (goes across the sides of the bath), and a grippy mat for in the bath. I then sit on the side of the board and swivel round and lift my legs over the side of the bath whilst sitting. It feels pretty secure. If I’m feeling good I stand to shower (I still could use having a grab rail fitted). If not I sit and shower. Getting out I sit, swivel and lift my legs over. I have a bath step with a handle to help me get out as my feet don’t touch the ground. So that’s how I shower.

i really miss having a bath and am trying to work out if there is a safe way of moving from the bath board into the bath and then using it to lean on to stand back up. There are options of in bath chair thingies but I’m not sure about them yet.

• crinkly
    crinkly 成员Posts:106

Like stickywicket I have a simple bath-lift that sits inside the bath and has a seat that can be set level with the top of the bath so you use in the same way as DebbieD's cross-bath board. A rechargeable battery then allows me to lower the seat until I'm just a fraction above the bottom of the bath and the back-rest reclines so I can enjoy the warm water on my back. Not precisely the same as having an independent bath but very close and easy to use - especially if you have a little more depth of water in the bath than usual.

除了进行家庭评估外,您还可以参观残疾人陈列室,并要求查看哪些商业选项可用 - 有很多变化,并且并非所有人都太昂贵了,无法获得一些额外的节省。(我使用了我的DLA。)

• Mike1
    Mike1 成员Posts:1,992

I had a home assessment from the Council Adult Care department and ended up with a wet room being put in for me complete with a seat in the shower, a raised WC and handrails etc. In addition other adaptations were made around my bungalow.

• Moira
    Moira 成员Posts:37

I gave up on baths ages ago. It was just too difficult, especially on holiday.

I use a shower now and when I book rooms in a hotel always go for a walk-in shower. I really enjoy my showers. If necessary you can get one with a flap down seat.

Some councils are willing to put in extra equipment/wet rooms but many just don't have the money. It depends where you live.

祝您好运,无论您需要走什么路。

Me I love my shower.

• Baloo

调整浴室的声音听起来像是我本人和夫人挣扎的长期解决方案。现在,我可以跪在浴缸中,但这很痛。从坐在浴室侧面的坐着是可行的@debbied请观看它在互联网上完成的。与此同时what I can say is this. Its prompted me to get some athletic knee support pads and they are amazing. They took all the pain off and I can kneel in the kitchen to reach down into the fridge. Its an effort, but Knee supports are amazing. Not sure I would wear any in the bath, probably not. Dropping myself into the bath from sitting was dooable but requires upper body strength in the arms and at least one good leg, to gain enough leverage on the sides of the bath to get back out to sitting again. Im going to practice a few times without water and see what happens.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jjVrb7HEvY

• Baloo

Ok that wasn't easy with real water in the bath and I nearly didn't make it. Dropping into a bath full of water from sitting was a bit scary, and reversing it was a bit more scary. On a scale of 1-10 around 4 scary spiders and around 9.5 sheer effort and mini workout. I noticed my aches were a bit worse afterwards and got me worried about potential trauma. Thats probably where the fear is coming from, and I aught to listen to it and practice some more. But I would have to say the sense of achievement was also pretty high.

• LizB12
    LizB12 成员Posts:38

@crinklyAfter a disastrous attempt at having a bath, after quite a few years without, I bought a bath lift that sounds similar to yours. I had heard that an Epsom salts bath is very helpful for arthritis. I found it very scary sitting on the bottom from standing, with my husband’s help, and jolted a bit. I started with lower back pain a week or so after and was diagnosed with inflammation of the sacroiliac joints. When I remembered my first experience in the bath I realised that I hurt my coccyx too. The doctor says that it may take months to settle so please be careful@Baloo。我已经用浴缸进行了一些洗澡,因此当疼痛再次减轻时,我期待更多。我买了一个特殊的垫子来缓解它。

• crinkly
    crinkly 成员Posts:106

我不确定我是否明白您为什么遇到这个问题,lizb12。我经常使用浴缸升降机,没有任何类似的事情发生,所以也许我们正在写不同的辅助工具。一个截瘫的朋友也没有多年使用一个没有事故的朋友,但在这里引用制造商和模型是不合适的。我们俩都不需要帮助使用座椅。

首先,座椅是浴缸顶部的水平,并具有与浴缸侧重叠的侧面延伸(允许从轮椅上转移)。用户在浴缸外面,首先坐在浴缸上的侧面,然后转弯,将腿抬起浴缸的侧面,使脚在水中。手持可充电的“遥控器”可以缓慢地降低座椅,从而有时间在前面伸展腿部,直到座椅靠近浴缸的底部。随着座椅的降低,侧面延伸折叠。如果控制按钮不在座椅上,则不会移动,并且没有震动,因为它达到了最低点,因此一切都得到了顺利的实现 - 从站立到坐在水中的突然变化,您似乎是您所描述的。

I hope this makes sense as I can't see how my bath seat would cause the issues you describe. Maybe I should have explained how it operates in more detail but I will be careful.

• LizB12

Sorry@crinklyif my post was confusing. I meant that I had the jolting experience when I had my first bath, before I bought my bath lift. The bath was deeper than I thought! Your bath lift sounds exactly like mine. I find it so easy to use

• Baloo
    edited 6. Oct 2021, 19:03

@crinkly@lizb12谢谢您的评论,很高兴知道我们并不孤单。我再次跳进浴缸。哦,不,我没有。就像您所说的那样,受伤的风险非常高,必须将其慢慢慢。正在发生一些非常微妙的事情,这似乎使每项活动不仅是沐浴的风险。那就是感觉的,这是非常真实的。我的双腿第一次滑开了,第二次第二次出门,我不得不想知道我上次如何设法出门。我并不惊讶你受伤了@lizb12希望您找到一种方法可以恢复。

• LizB12

@baloo. My thoughts exactly. Thank you, my lower back etc is feeling much better this week and feel more positive about continuing baths using my bath lift and returning to little walks.

• Baloo
    编辑19. 2022年6月17:51

夫人决定用浴缸中的12英寸浴室座椅解决它。它几乎与浴室轮辋一样高,最终的高度与厕所座椅相同,因此我们坐在上面,然后坐在它上。浴缸上的淋浴,注意不要到处喷洒。太太必须先放一条腿。除了坐在上面,我还没有尝试过它要安全,我的膝盖几乎可以应付从那样低的东西上起床。第一个座椅太脆弱了,无法坐在浴缸的弯道上,腿弯曲,所以我们不得不购买另一个腿部更强的腿和双腿之间的支撑。

And a bath brush one each.

一旦我们正确尝试了几次,就可能会添加浴帘,并用一些胶带更好地密封浴缸轮辋。

谁在线上

Tigerfeet
Tigerfeet
+3客人
Baidu